Got an Hour? Give it back.
There are many seniors in your community who could use an hour of your time. According to a 2011 report from the Administration on Aging, there are roughly 11 million seniors living alone in their homes and nearly 1.5 million seniors in nursing homes at any given time. Programs set up through the state and localities, many of which are funded through the Older Americans Act, offer opportunities for these individuals to receive services, and meals, as well as programs to keep them busy and social. These programs thrive on volunteers giving an hour back to the older adults in their community.
Volunteering is easy -- Through senior centers, nursing homes, or connecting with a senior who lives in their home, there are a variety of ways you can give back.
Got an hour?
- Bring a meal to a senior in their home
- Play a game with a group at a local senior center
- Pick up prescriptions for a neighbor
- Volunteer as an ombudsman to help advocate for nursing home residents
- Bring members of your church or synagogue to services with you…
Got an hour? There are hundreds of ways to give it back in your neighborhood, or at a local nursing home. Learn more about volunteer opportunities at the campaign's website: giveitbacktoseniors.org